Friends of the Pasco County Library Meeting
10:30am, March 23, 2023
Land O Lakes Library
- Roll Call
Roz Fenton – Friends of Pasco County Library President
Caroline Westerhof – Friends of Pasco County Library Vice President
David Dellinger – Friend – Starkey Ranch
Angelo Liranzo – Regional Branch Manager - Hugh Embry/New River
Glen Thompson – Friend – Hugh Embry
Nancy Fredericks – Libraries Administrator
Linda Buzzee – Friend – Land O’ Lakes
Gail Hannas – Friend – Land O’ Lakes
Catherine Seavey – Branch Manager – Centennial Park
Kiersten Backus – Administrative Assistant
Robert Speich – Librarian III – Systemwide Services
Katrina Rash – Regional Branch Manager – Hudson/Centennial Park
Tracy Blimes – Regional Branch Manager – Regency Park/South Holiday
Bob Harrison – Marketing Program Manager
Becky Finley – Friend – New River
Danielle Lee – Branch Manager – New River
Amanda Ogle – Branch Manager – Starkey Ranch
Hasina Akhter – Systems Librarian – Systemwide Services
Michele Baker – Guest
Nicole DeSimone – Branch Manager – Land O’Lakes
- Approve/Review Minutes
Motion to approve minutes from January 18, 2023, meeting by Caroline Westerhof and seconded by David Dellinger.
- Officer/Committee Report
- President Report
Roz Fenton thanked all the branch Friends for the work they are doing at each of the branches. There are several concerts scheduled for Hudson Library and Starkey Ranch Library. Roz is currently on a project to connect the services that they Library offers with local agencies like Big Brothers and Big Sisters. Everyone is encouraged to refer any local agencies that they are affiliated with to the library. The Library has a team that focuses on outreach and information sessions to spread the word of library services. Roz will be spearheading an initiative to reach out to estate attorney offices and share material regarding the Friends and donations.
- Vice President Report
Nothing to report
- Treasurer Report
Reviewed quarterly Countywide Friends financials.
- Unfinished Business
- March 22, 2023 Library Day Update
Hasina Akhter, Sarah Cornacchione, and Nancy Fredericks attended the Tallahassee Library Day in March. Nancy shared their experience and the Legislators that they met with. The message that was conveyed to the Legislators was to please continue to support State Aid and Construction Grants.
- Advocacy – Book Ban Data
Shared data from the American Library Association (ALA) regarding book banning. This data can be used as information when discussing with others. All material can be found on ALA website: https://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks. Library Administration is available for assistance if more information is needed.
- Remodel Schedule
Reviewed remodel status for Pasco County Libraries. Regency Park and Hugh Embry are currently closed for remodel. Hugh Embry will be reopening soon.
- Master Plan Open House Events
All are welcome and encouraged to attend the Open Houses to give input on the future of the Library System.
- Tuesday, April 4 (4:30-5:30 setup, 5:30-7:30 event, 7:30-8:00 breakdown), Land O Lakes Branch Library – 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O Lakes
- Thursday, April 6 (4:30-5:30 setup, 5:30-7:30 event, 7:30-8:00 breakdown), Shady Hills Community Center – 15840 Greenglen Lane, Spring Hill
- Tuesday, April 11 (4:30-5:30 setup, 5:30-7:30 event, 7:30-8:00 breakdown), Centennial Park Branch Library – 5740 Moog Road, Holiday
- Thursday, April 13 (5:00-6:00 setup, 6:00-8:00 event, 8:00-8:30 breakdown) Lewis Abraham Boys & Girls Club of Lacoochee – 38724 Mudcat Grant Blvd Dade City, FL 33523
- New Business
- Aspen Discovery Presentation – Hasina & Sarah
Hasina Akhter presented on the new enhanced catalog search Aspen Discovery.
- Discuss Theatre Ticketed Events
Elaine Smith is currently scheduling events at the Starkey Ranch Library Theatre. The Library will soon be offering a ticketed event series in Fall of 2023. Press releases and marketing will be developed to distinguish what events are ticketed and what are free. By introducing ticketed events the Library will be able to bring in larger entertainment events for the community. Ticketed events will help the Library offset some of the costs of these events.
- Branches Helping with Summer Reading Club prizes- Robert
Currently the Countywide Friends of the Library support Summer Reading Prizes consisting of 5 gift cards, $100 each. These gift cards are given out to 5 winners of summer reading challenges at the end of the summer. To offset the cost burden from the Countywide Friends it is asked that each of the 8 Friends group contribute $50 to help pay for the summer reading prizes.
- Branch Reports
- Starkey Ranch
The Starkey Ranch Friends have recruited about 27 friends in total with all four officer positions filled. The Starkey Friends hosted a book sale and are exploring the opportunity for pop up sales. Starkey Ranch Library will be hosting a Family Day in June. There will also be concerts and lectures throughout the year.
- Hugh Embry
The remodel is progressing. Furniture is beginning to be delivered. The official walkthroughs of the building are happening within the week. After the walkthroughs are complete opening dates will be discussed. The Friends are hosting the annual membership renewal and currently have 22 friends committed.
Julia Shepherd was promoted to Branch Manager. Hudson will be hosting a concert called American Trilogy. The Friends will be hosting a local author fair in April.
- Centennial Park
The Centennial Park Friends just hosted their spring book sale making roughly $1000. The Friends are funding a free art closet at the branch to make art more accessible to the community. Art material are available for members of the community to use and take.
- South Holiday
- New River
New River has 17 volunteers for the Adult Literacy Program. Spring book sales will be taking place in April.
- Land O Lakes
Land O Lakes friends host weekly Tuesday book sales. Donations continue to come in. The branch is inviting local groups like canine units to come in and discuss their importance and help youth understand why the groups are important.
- Regency Park
Currently closed for remodel.
- System Services
System Services implemented the enhanced catalog, Aspen Discovery. To prepare for the summer, System Services is ordering new children’s books.
The Marketing Team has been working on various projects including:
- Creating materials for National Poetry Month (April) where patrons will be encouraged to write their own haiku poem and learn about other types of Poetry through a Beanstack challenge.
- The Caribbean Chillers (Jimmy Buffet tribute band) and the Seven Springs High School Steel Drum Band will be performing at an event in May at the Starkey Ranch Theatre. Marketing materials and communications planning have been ongoing to prepare for this event.
- A Spanish version of our Discover brochure is nearly complete, pending final approvals and then professional printing.
- Internal process improvement: During March we beta tested a ticketing system to make requesting marketing materials easier for staff. Finalized roll out of the system scheduled for April.
- Summer Reading preparations and planning are underway.
The Video Team has been working on various projects including:
- Music profile videos (5) for upcoming Studio H Showcase event.
- Makerspace website videos for New River, Land O'Lakes, Hudson, and Starkey Ranch.
- Various (6) LOFT Makerspace Drawing Class videos (Centennial Park).
- Morning Blend Book Club videos continue to be filmed on a monthly basis.
- Video projects to help other County departments include: Animal Services interviews, Senior Services event videos, and Parks Onboarding.
- Next Meeting - Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 10:30 a.m. – Location: Land O’ Lakes Library
- Adjourned at 11:30 a.m.